For a normal gait person, as he moves a step forward, his heel touches the ground first then the arch of his foot followed by his forefoot and toes. The normal footprints would depict a heel, a bridge connecting to the metatarsus, and the toes. This is the normal gait, the heel which rolls to the arch then the forefoot and toes.
What happens in a flatfooted individual is quite different. As his heel touches the ground, it rolls to the whole sole of his foot followed by the toes. The resulting footprint would be his entire foot sole imprinted with a little or no indication of an arch. This is an indication of over-pronation, when the heel strikes the ground and rolls inward as the step completes its motion. Over time, this causes injuries and the most common indication of untreated over-pronating feet is the knee slightly bent inward with the feet splayed slightly apart.
Before, motion control running shoes are used exclusively for runners to correct their gait (over pronation). But over time, motion control running shoes are used as a corrective shoe on normal people who over-pronate while they walk.
If you belong to the category of flat footed individuals who over-pronate while walking, get yourself a motion control shoe and prevent a serious injury. Here are samples of motion control running shoes I find available over the internet.
Motion Control Running Shoes for Men
Saucony ProGrid Guide 4
Weight: 11.6 oz
Where to Get It: http://runningandmarathon.com/saucony-progrid-4
The perfect everyday training shoe! The ProGrid Guide 4 is the next rendition of the award winning ProGrid Guide 3. Ideal for light stability runners, the Guide 4 offers a dual density midsole for motion control and support throughout the entire gait cycle – ensuring a great run every time!
Saucony ProGrid Guide 4 Running Shoe Features:
- The perfect light stability, everyday training shoe
- Dual density midsole slows down any mild overpronation
- Smooth transition and ride allows for a great run
- Weight: 11.6 oz
Price: $100 – ON SALE @ $80
Weight: 13.3 oz
Where to Get It: http://runningandmarathon.com/asics-gel-foundation-9-mens
The ASICS® GEL-Foundation® 9 running shoe continues to address the needs of the moderate to severe overpronator. This update features improved fit and comfort along with all the stability features that have made the series one of the industry’s best sellers. Rearfoot and forefoot GEL® Cushioning Systems attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases, and allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle. ComforDry™ sockliner, separate cushioning performance and anti-microbial properties for a cooler, drier, healthier enivornment. SpEVA® midsole improves bounce back characteristics and decreases midsole breakdown. DuoMax® Support System is positioned to enhance support and stability, positioned sport specifically. Personal Heel Fit (PHF™) foam lines the collar and molds to the heel, creating a personalized fit.
Motion Control Running Shoes for Women
Nike Air Structure Triax Women’s Running Shoe
Price: $100 – ON SALE @ $80
Weight: Wt. 10.2 oz.
Where to Get It: http://runningandmarathon.com/nike-zoom-structure-triax-12
The Nike Air Zoom Structure Triax+ 12 running shoe offers a superb mix of stability, cushioning and flexibility. Breathable sandwich mesh upper with supportive overlays and welds provides a secure, lightweight fit. Firm heel counter adds pronation control. Zoom Air™ in the heel and forefoot combine with a dual-density, decoupled Crash Pad, supportive footbridge and flexible forefoot for a smooth ride. Large Duralon™ insert offers outstanding cushioning, longevity and traction. Asymmetrical arch gives support and sufficient torsion. BRS 1000™ carbon rubber heel.
Millions of runners have enjoyed the consistent fit, stability and comfort of this economically priced high-end performance shoe. Now with Guidance Line for a more efficient gait cycle, and reduced overall shoe weight.
- Impact Guidance System (I.G.S.) (RUNNING): ASICS Design Philosophy. Employs linked componentry that enhances the foot’s natural gait from heel strike to toe-off.
- Guidance Line: Vertical flex groove decouples the tooling along the line of progression for enhanced gait efficiency.
- Gender Specific Space Trusstic System: Recognizes the normal periodic changes in the shape of the woman’s arch and provides for the controlled deformation of the arch into the space within the system.
- ComforDry Sockliner: Provides cushioning performance and anti-microbial properties for a cooler, drier, healthier environment.
- Solyte Midsole Material: A lighter weight midsole compound than ASICS’ standard EVA and SpEVA. Also features enhanced cushioning and durability.
- DuoMax Support System: A dual density midsole system positioned to enhance support and stability, positioned sport specifically.
- Dual Density Solyte Lasting: Employs different densities of Solyte lasting material in heel and forefoot for improved comfort.